What we build
Custody technology for institutional and mainstream adoption.
Like modern internet banking, for digital assets to achieve mainstream adoption, custody requires a solution that makes adoption seamless to the average user.
This is Piston Vault’s mission.
Self-custody with hardware and software wallets is flawed.
Mainstream custody must rely on enterprise technology designed for modern financial markets.
Spark™ Hardware Wallet
Piston Vault Spark™ is our custom hardware wallet for storing private keys. It supports multiple blockchain and DLT technologies, including Bitcoin, R3 Corda, and many others.
Spark™ has powerful MCU and a Secure Enclave with tamper-proof physical countermeasures, and it enclosed in a shell of liquid crystal polymers (Kevlar).
Among others, Spark™ implements BIP32 for hierarchical deterministic (HD) wallets and carries cryptographic operations both in hardware and software.
Piston Valve™ Secure Platform
Piston Valve™ is our proprietary platform designed to host Spark™ wallets in a powered-off and air-gapped state. It provides power and communication to each Spark™ through electronically separated channels controlled by independent software systems.
When in cold storage, Sparks™ are powered off and physically disconnected from all networks. Upon request, Spark™ devices are physically connected to Piston Valve™ by a robotic actuator and powered up. Through a second authenticated channel, user request Sparks™ to sign transactions.
Sparks™ are returned to a powered-off and air-gapped status automatically after a predefined time.
Mechanics & Robotics
Piston Cylinder™ Electronic Safes
- Piston Cylinder™ enclosures are custom-designed steel cells built to function like electronic safes. They host several Piston Valve™ systems and operate up to 8,194 Spark wallets. Piston Cylinders™ have several security features designed to prevent unauthorized access to Sparks™:
- Solid steel base, bolted to the floor, supporting four steel columns and a steel top.
- All parts are joined with inner bolts preventing disassembling from the outside.
- Total weight higher than 1,000 lb (500 kg).
- Bullet-proof glass doors.
- Fail-secure locks (i.e. stay locked in the absence of power and controlled through encrypted VPN channels).
- Industrial-grade, fully redundant electrical and electronic systems.
- Temperature monitoring.
- Active cooling.
- Emergency shutdown.
Piston Connector™ Robotic Arm
Piston Connectors™ are precision robotic systems that control Sparks’ physical connectivity in real-time (cold vs hot wallet).
Each Piston Cylinder™ contains 4 Piston Connectors™ systems, controlled through independent VPN channels.
Upon users authenticated requests, Piston Connectors™ seek the corresponding Spark™, position in front of them, and use servo fingers to push Spark™ wallets into the Piston Valve™ hosting system, thereby connecting Sparks™ physically and electronically (cold to hot).
Once transactions have been completed, Piston Connectors™ will return the Spark™ to its air-gapped state (hot to cold).